Author Melanie Conklin and Cookies for Kids’ Cancer have partnered to fight childhood cancer through funding for groundbreaking research!
Did you know…
- Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease of children in the U.S.
- Less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s budget goes to all childhood cancers combined.
- 13,500 children in the U.S. are diagnosed with cancer each year.
The first time I heard about a childhood cancer called neuroblastoma, I was a new mother living in Park Slope, Brooklyn. A neighbor’s son was battling the disease. That morning, I read her blog and cried like I’d never cried before. I couldn’t believe the struggle these families faced. I wanted desperately to DO something to help.
Soon, my opportunity arose. In 2007, another local mom launched a challenge to bake 100,000 cookies to raise funds for childhood cancer research. Her son Liam also suffered from neuroblastoma. I joined the baking effort, meeting in a half-broken rental kitchen on Stuveysant Ave, and then at the French Culinary Institute. I loved to bake, and supporting Cookies for Kids’ Cancer was something I could DO.
Since then, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer has led the charge to fight childhood cancer, funding nearly 7 DOZEN childhood cancer research grants, leading to 27 promising new treatments and clinical trials available to children fighting cancer TODAY. These stories stuck with me, and when I started writing, these are the children who filled my heart. Theirs are the true stories behind the story of Counting Thyme.
Thank you, readers!
In thanks to the many readers who pre-ordered Counting Thyme, Melanie has made a $5,000 contribution to Cookies for Kids Cancer to support pediatric cancer research.
Now it’s is YOUR turn to be a Good Cookie!
There are many ways you can support pediatric cancer awareness!
- Host a bake sale at your school, home, or library! Visit the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer website for details, and feel free to email with questions.
- Incorporate your bake sale with an author visit! Melanie will waive her author visit fee for schools participating in a bake sale (travel not included).
- Share the story of Counting Thyme with fellow readers!
- Support Cookies for Kids’ Cancer by ordering cookies or with a personal donation!
- Learn more about neuroblastoma and other pediatric cancers.